Hunt Still On for Festival Queen Entrants from Northern Parishes • Entries Still Open for Miss Trelawny, St. Ann, St. Mary and Portland
March 30, 2017
The hunt is still on for Parish Festival Queens from the northern parishes of Trelawny, St. Ann, St. Mary and Portland. According to Director of Marketing and Public relations at the Jamaica Cultural Development Commission (JCDC), Stephen Davidson, the deadline for entries for the 2017 Miss Jamaica Festival Queen Competition have been extended to Friday, April 7.
“We are looking for empowered young women from Trelawny, St. Ann, St. Mary and Portland that fit the criteria of intelligent, culturally-aware and poised and are in turn seeking a platform to make their contributions to nation building.” Davidson said.
He continued, “The Miss Jamaica Festival Queen Competition, which is one of JCDC’s signature programmes provides holistic development for the young ladies who enter. These young women will receive training in speech and diction, poise, talent and business and social etiquette and will leave the competition ready to lead their peers in contributing to national development.”
The Miss Jamaica Festival Queen Competition, which focuses on leadership, appreciation of the role of women, creative talent, culture and community involvement, has produced some outstanding queens who have continued to make a significant contribution to building ‘Brand Jamaica’ beyond their reign.
With over a million dollars in cash and prizes to be won, young ladies, between 18-25 years old will first compete at the parish level, before the Grand National Coronation, which forms part of the Emancipation and Independence Celebrations.
Davidson also noted that a major component of the competition is the social outreach aspect where the contestants are encouraged to give back to their respective communities by organizing social projects, which are always well received.Entry forms and other details for the 2017 Miss Jamaica Festival Queen Competition can be accessed on the JCDC website at www.jcdc.gov.jm the JCDC Head Office at 3-5 Phoenix Avenue in Kingston or respective JCDC Parish Offices.
Recent Press Releases
- March 24 - Performing arts champs to begin march 30 • national finals begin in dance, speech, traditional folk forms, music and drama
- March 22 - Deaf dancers to step out loudly at little theatre
- March 07 - Children’s gospel song elimination round continues
- March 06 - Jcdc hunts for foodies for 2017 culinary champs
- February 28 - Team clarendon is #teamexcellence
- February 21 - Jcdc empowers youth through culture
- February 20 - Gospel song 30th anniversary finalists chosen
- February 10 - Creative writing exhibition tours central jamaica
- February 08 - Jcdc children’s gospel song elimination round begins
- January 19 - Audition round begins for jamaica gospel song, as competition celebrates 30 years