JCDC EMPOWERS YOUTH THROUGH CULTURE
February 21, 2017
Kingston Jamaica: The JCDC Eastern Region which covers the parishes of Kingston & St. Andrew, St. Catherine and St. Thomas will be hosting its second annual Public Forum as a part of its Reggae and Black History Month observance under the 2017 Jamaica Day’s theme “Celebrating Jamaica .. Exploring Jamaica’s Legacy in a Global Context – Marcus Garvey”. This will be held on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 starting at 1:00 p.m. at Liberty Hall, King’s Street, Kingston.
According to David Stephen Reid, JCDC Regional Manager, Eastern Region, “the aim of the Public Forum is to have young people within tertiary institutions discussing cultural relevance issues as we seek to broaden the scope of the Jamaica Cultural Development Commission through dialogues with the youths’.
In keeping with the theme, the presenters for the Forum will include Mr. Steven Golding, President of UNIA-Jamaica, Dr. Clinton Hutton, Lecturer and Black Consciousness Advocate. Dr. Delroy Gordon, Executive Director of the Jamaica Cultural Development Commission and Dr. Soina Roper, Curator of the Liberty Hall Museum will also bring greetings.
The JCDC recognizing the importance of preserving the Jamaican culture and heritage seeks to do so through the establishment of Culture Clubs in schools and other community based organizations across the island. The Culture Club also provide a channel through which the creative talents and skills of the Jamaican people can be identified, developed and promoted, a medium through which the development of the Arts can be sustained, to instill and engender a greater sense of patriotism and civic pride in our youth, to create greater awareness and appreciation for our cultural heritage, to encourage greater use of the Performing and Visual Arts as tools in the education process and to provide a meaningful avenue for young people to have wholesome interaction in a fun way.
Recent Press Releases
- February 20 - Gospel song 30th anniversary finalists chosen
- February 10 - Creative writing exhibition tours central jamaica
- February 08 - Jcdc children’s gospel song elimination round begins
- January 19 - Audition round begins for jamaica gospel song, as competition celebrates 30 years
- January 18 - January 27 deadline for jamaica visual arts competition
- January 11 - 2017 jcdc performing arts competition audition round begins
- November 25 - Jcdc empowers youth through culture
- November 25 - Creative writing exhibition tours western jamaica
- November 23 - Creative writers to participate in intensive workshops
- November 18 - Performing arts, festival song and gospel entries closing november 25