Kingston, Jamaica: The finalists in the 2018 Jamaica Festival Song Competition are in high spirits and full preparation mode, as they power along the journey to the Grand National Finals in July. Following on their successful completion of the second round of competition, where the 30 semi-finalists went head to head for one of the coveted top ten spots, the finalists, which includes a mass choir, have been in the studios working with various note-worthy and award winning producers to put the final touches on their entry songs. Up next on their journey will be a series of road shows across the island, beginning in the second city, Montego Bay in June.
“We have pulled out all the stops to make this year’s competition bigger and better than before, including our renewed partnership with Tastee Jamaica, which has rejoined this year’s roster of sponsors with $7.5 Million. Thanks to the funding of our sponsors I am sure that this competition’s journey will be a life changing experience for all the finalists, especially the winners.” Said Minister of Culture, Gender, Entertainment and Sport, the Hon. Olivia Grange.
In addition to the series of performances across the country, an official photo-shoot, media tour/courtesy calls and the anticipated 2018 album release are some of the other planned stops on the road of the Competition’s journey. The top ten songs will also be accompanied by music videos and vignettes which will be accessible by the public.
Also on the agenda of the top ten finalists is another in the series of coaching sessions on Wednesday, May 16 with renowned artist development consultants Conroy Wilson and Michael Holgate, both Executive and Artistic Director, respectively, of the Ashe Company, who will coach the finalists in artistic presentation and stage craft.
Organised by the Jamaica Cultural Development Commission (JCDC) an agency of the Ministry of Culture, Gender, Entertainment and Sport, the Jamaica Festival Song Competition is the longest running song competition in Jamaica and has showcased myriads of artistes and numerous songs which have become the soundtrack to Jamaican life and culture.
The top ten finalists in the 2018 edition of the Jamaica Festival Song Competition
- Strong Jamaican written by Patrick Kitson and performed by Escarpment Road New Testament Church of God
- Jamaica A Wi Home written and performed by Oneil Scott, stage name: Nazzleman
- Hands on your Heart written by Karel Wisdom, M. Bennett and G. Wright and performed by Karel Wisdom, stage name: Jah Wiz
- The Type of Jamaica written and performed by Radcliffe Palmer, stage name: Radcliffe John
- Jamaica Wi Rich written and performed by Victor Richards, stage name: Juke Box
- I Love Jamaica written by Sheea-Ann Hewan and performed by Roger Mendez, stage name: Rojjah
- Jamaica You Nice Enuh written and performed by Tanice Morrison, stage name: Reggae Soul Child
- Jamaica’s Formula written and performed by Everton Pessoa, stage name: Pesso
- Wi Big All Around written and performed by Dennis McKay, stage name: Mackie Conscious
- Let’s Do It Jamaica written and performed by Courick Clarke, stage name: Koriq