YOUNG PRODUCERS AND PERFORMERS NEEDED FOR 2010 FESTIVAL SONG
Young producers, singers and songwriters are being invited to submit entries for the 2010 Jamaica Festival Song Competition. The Jamaica Cultural Development Commission (JCDC), organizers of the annual competition is encouraging the full participation of upcoming music professionals in this year’s staging.
According to newly appointed Festival Song Coordinator, David Reid, the competition will return with a fresh and youthful approach. Aspiring artistes and their producers will not only vie for the million dollar prize, but will have the opportunity to expose their talent and position themselves for success in today’s competitive music industry.
Selecting the winning song will begin with the submission of a recorded version of the entry followed by rigourous live eliminations before the top ten finalists are selected. According to Reid, workshops and other training will also be an integral part of the selection process.
2010 participants will be involved in the production of a compilation album, individual music videos and an island tour before the finals set for July. In addition, finalists will also benefit from increased marketing and public relations support to be provided by the Commission this year.
Interested persons may contact the offices of the JCDC or log on to www.jcdc.org. jm for more information. Entries must be submitted by Friday, February 26 and accompanied by a type-written lyric sheet.
Over the years, the Festival Song Competition has been responsible for developing the careers of many artistes, including reggae icon Bob Marley, Ernie Smith, Toots Hibbert and more recently, Bescenta, Khago and Ieye.
Recent Press Releases
- March 30 - Hunt still on for festival queen entrants from northern parishes • entries still open for miss trelawny, st. ann, st. mary and portland
- March 24 - Performing arts champs to begin march 30 • national finals begin in dance, speech, traditional folk forms, music and drama
- March 22 - Deaf dancers to step out loudly at little theatre
- March 07 - Children’s gospel song elimination round continues
- March 06 - Jcdc hunts for foodies for 2017 culinary champs
- February 28 - Team clarendon is #teamexcellence
- February 21 - Jcdc empowers youth through culture
- February 20 - Gospel song 30th anniversary finalists chosen
- February 10 - Creative writing exhibition tours central jamaica
- February 08 - Jcdc children’s gospel song elimination round begins
- January 19 - Audition round begins for jamaica gospel song, as competition celebrates 30 years
- January 18 - January 27 deadline for jamaica visual arts competition
- January 11 - 2017 jcdc performing arts competition audition round begins
- November 25 - Jcdc empowers youth through culture
- November 25 - Creative writing exhibition tours western jamaica
- November 23 - Creative writers to participate in intensive workshops
- November 18 - Performing arts, festival song and gospel entries closing november 25
- November 04 - Gi joke and write like ‘maas ran’ competition closes nov. 11
- October 12 - Jcdc, jamaicans inspired uk to sign mou